Severely Awesome Games Forum

May 30, 2020, 07:09:52 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

SeverelyAwesome.com Live!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Test Rules  (Read 3828 times)
Black Knight
Private

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2010, 06:28:20 PM »

I got a game in this weekend using the test rules. I have played almost every version of Heavy Gear up till the current one. I like the feel and ranges of the current system. I could say the only "flaw" might be some of the cover / line of sight stuff but I still would like to see more games. I however greatly disliked the test range bands. I think it takes out the ideal feeling of the game. When flamers can shot up to 24 inches it just seems bizzare. The lowering of the minuses to hit for extreme ranges that are the whole board also makes the idea of artillery unwise. Just about anything with a decent range can shot across the whole board. So positioning unit to serve as back field units no longer works.

I was running striders for the game and disliked how all of a sudden guns that could barely hit me at long ranges had only a minus one to hit me. I enjoy having differen units for different ranges. I think it is nice to have everything from close assualt to artillery on the same board.             
Wizard
Uktena, Snake of Rock Bottom
Administrator

jonalfarlinga
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:32:51 PM »

How big was the board? According to what I've seen and what the DP9 Forums are saying 4x6 is looking to be the new norm.

I see where you're coming from, but I like the new range bands for the reason that battles are no longer fought at point-blank range. I've always complained about 40k being close combat oriented when a sci-fi game should be shooting oriented. The ranges now are more realistic. An M240B (the equivalent of a DPG I imagine) has an effective range of about 2000 yards. That's more than a mile. Most of the guns Gears carry should realistically fire further than our boards can accommodate. It's unfortunate when it comes to artillery, but these are rules still being tested, and I will add this to the discussion on DP9 forums.

Žaš er gott. Ég var gert fyrir bardaga, og minn skal vera öldin kappans. Lįtašu önnur goš drottnu žegar barįttan er buin. Ég skal riša gaulaš ofvišriš, og deyja į sķšastrum miklum storminum.
WickedlyLance
General

Waaagh!

MattBlackEmerid
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »

I like the Range bands for simplicity's sake. Now, instead of having to know like 6 increments...I have 3.

And to be fair, those guns that were only -1 to hit you didn't HURT yah. The Rapid Fire Bazooka, at full ROF, needed a MoS 2 to take a single box off your lightest Armor...which was 24 I think. You were right that the Range Modifiers under the playtest rules hurt ME more than you.

Also, I played against CEF Saturday unexpectedly, with the normal range rules, and when I got Point Blank I murdered Hover Tanks wholesale because I'd get close and end up with like +4 against them. +1 Point Blank, +1 Out in the Open, +1 Warrior IV, +1 Crossfire. Against Tanks Sunday with the new range rules they had MUCH more survivability as at Point Blank I was still, at most, getting +1 or +2.
I think we did forget about the Ammo Rules though....oh well.

Me: "I'm in customer service. I have to hate everyone."
Wizard: "Isn't that the exact opposite of what you should do?"
Me: "Yeah, but then I'd have ulcers."
Come see my Photo's at ironlichstudio.deviantart.com or Facebook under Lance Park!
Black Knight
Private

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »

close combat assualts are suppose to be. The SR army list for the south is a close contact Army as are many others.  Auto cannons and Rocket Pods are short range weapons. That's why Rifles and Morters are choices. If you get close the whole opening your self to being back hit is the idea. I have seen very few people keep range or even use a fire support as fire support. That's why indirect fire is a rule.
    As far as tanks dying mine did fine. You say you had plus 4 in the current rules. But in our test you only had +2. Well you had in open +1 I had crossfire and back arc -2. It still took a group to down a single tank. Tanks require support. Cef is suppose to run heavy Grel and Gear flank guard to make sure there not get hit at +2 and -2.
    That's the game. This isn't 40k . Strategy is suppose to he used. If your too close your dead. I think that what makes the game. Recon, Fire Support all the squads serve a different purpose.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Forum