Severely Awesome Games Forum

May 30, 2020, 08:33:44 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

SeverelyAwesome.com Live!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: League Rules  (Read 4271 times)
Wizard
Uktena, Snake of Rock Bottom
Administrator

jonalfarlinga
View Profile Email
« on: August 12, 2010, 07:43:58 PM »

Fixed scenarios seem to be confusing in the league. The idea I had was that to make the league fair, everyone would play the same games. I put out one scenario and everyone plays that scenario through the week. After 5 weeks, everyone's score is based off of the same five scenarios. This seems fair to me. Armies being allowed to choose their PL in all cases seems wrong. Not only are the Elite squads generally better, but you gain Support points based on your army's PL, so one player might have a GP squad, a FS squad, and 2 Support points, while his opponent has a Strike Cadre with 5 support points, and some extra points for light tanks or something. That is why I decided on fixed PL.

Now there are other schools of thought. I could write separate scenarios for each match up, tailoring the PL to the armies involved. This would solve the Leagueless/SRA PL problem, but then there could be a perception of one player having an easier time due to the scenarios he played.

I could disallow armies from participating if they can't join at the scenario's PL. Maybe SRA players at PL 1 could play MILICIA for that game. Or Leagueless could play POC for a PL 3 scenario. Or the player automatically loses. But then how many OPs does his opponent get, either all and he perhaps gets an advantage he shouldn't have, or none to half and he is screwed by the match up.

I could require a list to be made as closely as possible to the listed PL. So Leagueless in PL 3 or 4 would play at PL2. But then what if the scenario was theme around a PL 4 strike team. the Leagueless player has to spend a majority of his points on 2 Cores, and can't outfit a high quality squad.

I could allow players to choose the PL that they wish to play at, but why would anyone choose 2 when they could choose 4? You get better choices, fewer minimums, and more power.

In the end, this League is to figure out how we should do this, so let me know what you think.

Žaš er gott. Ég var gert fyrir bardaga, og minn skal vera öldin kappans. Lįtašu önnur goš drottnu žegar barįttan er buin. Ég skal riša gaulaš ofvišriš, og deyja į sķšastrum miklum storminum.
Black Knight
Private

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »

I have to answer to the current problem. This is a weakness / design world fluff in the game so....

1) All games are PL 1 and you can only use an army / regiment that works PL 1. Why? The starter everyone bought is PL 1 also the majority of sides have a PL 1 capable force Milica etc....

2) All games are PL 2 period. This allows all (?) armies / regiments to play . I don't know of army that can't do PL 2. This solved the leagueless too high rule and the SRA too low rules.

As far as my personal view, as we are starting and new I think the PL 1 would be the best idea. Everyone has a starter and can build from that . Yes no SRA for me but oh well.

Lastly for me this brings up a model question. I have wanted to use "stripped" Jagers can I just remove the rocket packs and call it good it since that is what their equipment is or are we doing 100% wisiwig exact model ? Also the same question on weapons As is room to move?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:59:49 PM by Black Knight » Logged
Wizard
Uktena, Snake of Rock Bottom
Administrator

jonalfarlinga
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 01:02:41 PM »

Ok, I suggest using the rules as is, and trying to break them. Make a PL4 army with all the bells and whistles because you're playing SRA (and tell your opponent you are going to so they can prepare accordingly), and see if it is a broken rule. If so, we will run further games your way. I just don't see PL2 only as an attractive option in any way. Also, a starter is not enough to play PL2.

I've been grappling with wysiwyg for a while, and I have to settle on allowing proxy. BUT it has to be clearly and readily apparent. A good suggestion was colored bases. If you paint certain jager bases red and say "all the red based Jagers are Stripped down," that's fine. I will probably be saying "all the Rifle-armed Jaguars have MACs frequently. I would overlook one or two specific models being proxied (i.e. "This Hunter who is crouching and has a Knife out and this Tiger who is right-handed both have Frag Cannons"), but no more than two in an army, and it should be written somewhere. Bottom line is, I would like to see proxy-less games, but with all the options available I realize that is impossible.

Žaš er gott. Ég var gert fyrir bardaga, og minn skal vera öldin kappans. Lįtašu önnur goš drottnu žegar barįttan er buin. Ég skal riša gaulaš ofvišriš, og deyja į sķšastrum miklum storminum.
Black Knight
Private

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 02:17:12 PM »

I'm confused .... My suggestion is all games PL 1. That's what in a starter. And only using PL 1 capable armies.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:08:25 PM by Black Knight » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Forum