Severely Awesome Games Forum

November 19, 2018, 11:07:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

SeverelyAwesome.com Live!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: New Vegas  (Read 10964 times)
Hoplomancer
Colonel

Semper Liber

View Profile Email
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:57:07 PM »

Oh man. I got New Vegas today and I have put in about 4 hours on it (then had to go to my lousy night class. Bluh).

My first impression of New Vegas is this: Fuck Yes. So far, it has everything that I ever wanted fallout 3 to have. In hardcore mode, you have to eat, drink, and sleep. You have to go to a doctor to heal crippling injuries (I never went to a doctor in Fallout 3).

What is even more bad ass than that are the things that I didn't know the game would have. For example, the team who made this game knew more about real actual guns, so the weapons are a bit more realistic so far. There seem to be a lot more weapons, too. Also, in addition to work benches, there are reloading benches! The thing fallout 3 needed most! You can disassemble ammo into parts, and whenever you shoot bullets you get the casings into your inventory (not sure if you get 100% back or not). You can turn scrap metal into lead for bullets. I don't know where you get powder and primers aside from taking bullets apart, but you must be able to get them somewhere.

It is also very detailed. They actually distinguish between different primer types, small pistol, large pistol, small rifle, large rifle, and shotshell. They also have different ammo types, regular, hollow point, armor piercing, shotgun slugs, shotgun coin-shot, overcharged energy shells, even surplus ammo, which is cheaper but puts more wear on your gun.

There are way more things to craft as well. They also got rid of the big guns skill and put in survival, which changes how effective food and drink is at healing you as well as the things you can craft at the campfire, which allows you to craft healing items and better foods.

In addition to all this, so far there have been lots more opportunities to use the non-combat skills. Your levels of lots of skills come up in dialogue, and there are more things to interact with. For example, in the first building you wake up in, if you look around, you can find a broken 9mm SMG. If your repair skill is high enough, you can fix it up and take it.

Bottom line, so far it seems like the people in charge of this game had actual knowledge of guns and reloading, and wanted to make this game a much better simulation of post-apocalyptic survival and the scarcity of things.

As far as the setting/story so far, this is also cool. Since it takes place in the southwest like the original fallout games, there are the same factions and themes going on. Things are referenced from the original games. It feels much more like the real sequel to the first two fallout games. There is a list of optional traits you can take during character creation, one of which is called something like "weird wasteland," which says that it will make the strangest elements of the wasteland crop up. I didn't select that one because I wanted to play a "straight" version of the game first, but I'm going to take it with my next character, because I'm sure they're going to put in a lot more funny shit like in the original fallout games, like the whale in the desert and the bridge of death and the crashed starfleet shuttle and the crashed alien spaceship with the picture of elvis...

Oh god, I just want to take the week off.
Schwindler von Wahrheit
Master Sergeant

cdkff4
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 05:18:15 AM »

I second this motion.  Wierd wastelander though is AWESOME! pretty much it's the only opening perk that doesn't have a negative.  And you get cool items you have to have it to get.

A seal walks into a club.
Hoplomancer
Colonel

Semper Liber

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:18:58 PM »

This faction loyalty thing is pretty tricky. I managed to piss off the brotherhood of steel... So I guess no power armor for me then.
Schwindler von Wahrheit
Master Sergeant

cdkff4
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »

I think there are two quests for Power Armor.  and I'm appearently the Devil reincarnate to the Powder Gangersta'

Hoplomancer
Colonel

Semper Liber

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 10:18:44 AM »

I finished the game yesterday. I ended up supporting Mr. House all the way through. I beat the game and saw the credits, but then it took me to the "press start" screen again... I think you are supposed to be able to keep playing your character after winning the game but I'm not sure how. You get XP for finishing the game so you must be able to.

I didn't save during the final mission, so I'm going to have to do the battle for the dam all over again with that character. I started a new character which overwrote my autosave.

My new character has the wild wasteland trait, but I have yet to see anything wonky. I guess I just have to keep playing.

This character is really difficult to play - Explosives and melee. Melee sucks in hardcore mode because you generally don't want to get hit if you can avoid it, since sleeping doesn't refill health, and explosives is tough because it is hard to find weapons and I keep damaging myself by accident and crippling my limbs. Also, being hit in melee seems to cripple you more than being shot.

I think I finally saw most of the weapons in the game, but I'm sure there are a few more. I need to get a grenade rifle. This is a low-level explosives weapon, but still hard to find. I know where I need to go with this character, though. I need to go visit the Boomers.
Schwindler von Wahrheit
Master Sergeant

cdkff4
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 02:24:45 PM »

I got one and it made me wish for more explosion skills.  One thing Ev head south of town on the left hand side there is a fridge with a door off and a skeleton inside. It has a hat you can pick up. I can say more but it's up to you

Hoplomancer
Colonel

Semper Liber

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »

South of what town, goodsprings?

Let me guess - is it an Indiana Jones hat?

In Morrowind (I think it was Morrowind) there was this one dungeon that had a skeleton half crushed by a rock, who was clutching a note. I forget what the note said, but it was signed "Indy."
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:55:37 PM by Hoplomancer » Logged
Wizard
Uktena, Snake of Rock Bottom
Administrator

jonalfarlinga
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »

Thats what I thought of, but its a gay hat, or at least it was when I put it on.

Žaš er gott. Ég var gert fyrir bardaga, og minn skal vera öldin kappans. Lįtašu önnur goš drottnu žegar barįttan er buin. Ég skal riša gaulaš ofvišriš, og deyja į sķšastrum miklum storminum.
Schwindler von Wahrheit
Master Sergeant

cdkff4
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 03:09:28 PM »

Whereever the church maybe, you find the the holy hand granade in it's basement.

Hoplomancer
Colonel

Semper Liber

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 07:11:15 PM »

Yeah I found the holy 'nades.

Do you always get the little starry eyed "..." message when something wild wasteland happens?
Wizard
Administrator

jonalfarlinga
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 08:35:57 PM »

I've gotten that message twice, but I have yet to see anything weird.

Žaš er gott. Ég var gert fyrir bardaga, og minn skal vera öldin kappans. Lįtašu önnur goš drottnu žegar barįttan er buin. Ég skal riša gaulaš ofvišriš, og deyja į sķšastrum miklum storminum.
Hoplomancer
Colonel

Semper Liber

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:20:37 PM »

I got it when I found the Holy Frag Grenades.

Maybe you just didn't realize it was weird? Or didn't get the reference? Who knows what kind of obscure shit they could be referencing.
Wizard
Administrator

jonalfarlinga
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 10:58:38 PM »

Yeah I kinda think the first weird thing was the dead guy in a refrigerator. The other happened when I found a dead guy named johnny with a crapload of loot, but that seems normal in fallout...

Hoplomancer
Colonel

Semper Liber

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 09:21:24 AM »

Was the dead guy... Johnny Guitar?

I hate that song. It is the only one in the game that I don't like.

I think the best song in the game is "Big Iron," and I know Bassil is partial to "Ain't that a kick in the head."
Schwindler von Wahrheit
Master Sergeant

cdkff4
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 12:12:38 PM »

The one with johnny is cause of the aces and the balls lined up. Something about physics

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Forum