Severely Awesome Games Forum

September 23, 2018, 04:51:32 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

SeverelyAwesome.com Live!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Warmachine/Hordes Campaign System.  (Read 15030 times)
WickedlyLance
General

Waaagh!

MattBlackEmerid
View Profile Email
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »

So I'm working on a Warmachine/Hordes Campaign system. This is what I have so far...and yes everything is supposed to be under Mk2 Rules.

WARMACHINE CAMPAIGN RULES
This is a map-based campaign for use with Warmachine/Hordes. This is designed to last 4-5 Campaign Rounds.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
-   Campaign Rules
-   The Warchest
-   General overview: The Phases
-   The Challenge Phase
-   Advantages Phase
-   Conquest Phase
-   Aftermath Phase
-   Stronghold Phase
-   Terrain Features
-   Conquest Points
-   Advantages
-   Faction Advantages
CAMPAIGN RULES:
-   At the Start of the Campaign, each player chooses one existing Terrain Feature to serve as their Headquarters, or HQ. No-ones HQ may be within two Territories of another players HQ.
-   Each player decides which faction they want to play, and then choose three Warcasters/Warlocks to lead their forces. Throughout the Campaign, they can only use those three Warcasters/Warlocks to lead their forces, although they may choose to use their epic versions if they have them.
-   Each person should keep track of their Warchest on a Notecard, and what Advantages they purchased for what Campaign Round. Whether you choose to keep track of all this by person or one general note-taker should be decided before the campaign begins. At the very least Warchest totals should be kept track of separately.
-   These are things that must be kept track of: Warchest total, What Advantages were bought for what Campaign Round, Warjack/Warbeast Bonds (And as such how many times a Warjack of the same type has fought with a particular Warcaster and not been totalled), Who controls what Territory, The Terrain features on the Map, and what Warcasters/Warlocks are being used.
-   Each Player has Two Weeks to finish their challenges.
-   Army point size should be agreed apon after determining the Scenario. If no agreement can be met, the default point size is 35.
-   At the end of 4 Campaign rounds, whoever holds the most territory wins! In the event of a tie, compare Warchest totals. The highest total wins.
THE WARCHEST
The Warchest represents an army’s coffer, and points in the Warchest (henceforth referred to as Warchest Points) may be spent at varying phases during Campaign Play. Warchest points stick around, and thus a player needs to know how much is in their Warchest from Round to Round. Now, how do you get Warchest Points?
 - Controlling a Mine terrain feature automatically generates 2 Warchest points per controlled Mine.
- You can spend 1 Conquest Point to gain d3 Warchest Points.
- At the end of a Challenge, look at what you destroyed during the fight and add up the Point Costs of what was killed. The total of what you destroyed is added to your Warchest. If you destroy a Warcaster/Warlock, you gain Warchest points equal to the listed base Warjack/Warbeast Points.
GENERAL OVERVIEW: THE PHASES
Each Campaign Round consists of 5 phases.
1: Challenge Phase. This is where people challenge each other!
2: Advantages Phase. This is where you spend points from your Warchest for Advantages in the Conquest Phase.
3: Conquest Phase. This is where Challenges occur. You roll for the Scenario, agree to a point total, and fight!
4: Aftermath Phase. This is where you determine how many Conquest points you earned and spend them accordingly, if you’ve achieved Warjack/Warbeast Bonds, and  collect revenue from Mines!
5: Stronghold Phase. This is where you can spend points from your Warchest to set up terrain features such as Fortifications, Cities, Mines, and more!
Once all these phases are completed, you can then move on to the next Campaign Round and do the process all over again!
THE CHALLENGE PHASE
This is where people take turns challenging others. The person who controls the most Territory goes first. In the event of a tie, each player rolls a d6. Whoever rolls highest goes first. In the first Campaign turn,
Each Player makes a challenge against another player. A Player can only have two Challenges per Campaign Round. The player who makes the challenge is considered to be the Attacker, while the other player is considered the Defender. This is relevant for the Conquest Phase.
EXAMPLE: Bob Challenges Jones. Lucas then Challenges Bob. Since Bob now has 2 Challenges, no other player can Challenge Bob. Since Jones and Lucas only have 1 Challenge, they are still elible to be challenged.
ADVANTAGES PHASE
Advantages are bought during the Advantage phase, and can only be bought and applied to one of your challenges. You may only have one Advantage for each Challenge, and you can’t have the same Advantage for more than one challenge. You cannot purchase an Advantage you purchased in the previous Campaign round.
At the start of the Advantages Phase, each player secretly writes down what Advantages they’re buying and for which Challenge it will be applied. Once everyone is finished, everyone goes around the table revealing the advantages they’ve chosen for what fight, and subtract the cost from their Warchest.
EXAMPLE: Bob challenged Jones, while Lucas challenged Bob. This means Bob has Two Challenges. He purchases Spies and applies it to his challenge with Lucas. This means Bob cannot purchase Spies again for his fight with Jones,  so he purchases Scouts for his Challenge with Jones. This also means that in the next Campaign Round, Bob cannot purchase Spies or Scouts.
CONQUEST PHASE
The Attacker rolls for the Scenario and the Defender can modify the result by +1/-1. After the scenario is determined, you can make tyour army list and fight! Make sure to inform your opponent of any Warbeast Bonds or Advantages before the fight begins.
SCENARIO TABLE.
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
AFTERMATH PHASE
This is where everyone meets and determines if Warjack/Warbeast bonds are formed, how many Conquest Points are earned and spent to take territories or gain Warchest Points, and collect Revenue from your mines. To determine how many Conquest Points you have, take the result of your Challenge and consult the Conquest Points. If you fought more than one challenge, you add both results together.

Before taking over Territories, you now collect Revenue. For every mine controlled by a Player, that Player collects 2 Warchest Points.

CONQUEST POINTS
Taking over territories requires Conquest Points. You gain Conquest points by fighting in Challenges.
   Win: 5 Conquest Points
   Draw: 3 Conquest Points
   Loss:  2 Conquest Points.
This is what you can spend Conquest Points on:

ACTION                  CONQUEST POINT COST
Gain d3 Warchest Points            1 CP
Taking an Unowned Territory            1CP
Taking an Owned Territory            2CP
There are Modifiers to taking territories:
ACTION               ADDITIONAL CONQUEST POINTS
Taking a Territory with a City            +1
Taking a Territory with a Mountain/River      +1
Taking a Territory with a Fortification         +1
To take over an Owned Territory, you must have fought and beat the player who currently owns the Territory in that Campaign Rounds Conquest Phase. Additionally, you may only take over territories adjacent to a territory you already control.
STRONGHOLD PHASE
This is where you can spend Warchest Points to build Terrain Features in your Territories. Each Territory can only hold one Terrain Feature, and a player can’t exceed the listed Limit of Terrain Features they control except by taking over a Territory that already has that Terrain Feature. This means that, while a Player can only build up to two Mines, he can theoretically control Three or more by taking over an Opponent’s Territory that has a Mine on it!
TERRAIN FEATURE   COST   LIMIT      BENEFIT
Factory/Bestiary   5wp     2   Gives +1 Warjack/Warbeast Point to your Warcaster/Warlock.
Fortification*      3wp     U   +1 Conquest Points to take over.
City/Village      3wp    U   +1 Conquest Points to take over.
Barrack         3wp   3   Add one UA to your army for Free.
Mine         2wp   2   +2 Warchest Points in the Aftermath Phase.
•    Fortifications can be placed on any Territory you control, even if another Terrain Feature is already on that Territory. No, you can’t build another Fortification on a Territory that already has a Fortification on it.
ADVANTAGES
These are the general advantages any player can purchase during the Advantages Phase.
Scouts    3wp: Your advance scouts have seen the enemy’s deployment and rushed the information to you. Now you must hasten your troops to redploy to take advantage of this. One Friendly Model/Unit can redeploy after both armies have been set up, two if you’re the Talion Charter.
Spies    5wp: Your spies have fed false information and maps to the enemy. Choose one Non-Warcaster/Warlock/Warjack/Warbeast model or unit in the enemy army after both armies have been set up. You may redeploy that model/unit within 10” of its previous location, not leaving the established normal deployment zone.
Requistion Approval   5wp: Seeing the importance of your campaign, your leaders have authorized an emergency expenditure to bolster your forces. You may add +2 to your Warcasters Warjack Points or a Warlocks Beast Points.
Sabotage   5wp: You’ve managed to somehow throw a monkey wrench into one of your opponents most vital war assets, whether by poisoned food or faulty parts. Nominate one Warjack/Warbeast in the enemy army after both armies have deployed. During your Maintenance Phase, roll a d6, consult this chart, and apply the effect rolled to the nominated Warjack/Warbeast. Each effect lasts for one round. On the first turn this goes into effect, you can re-roll a result of a 1.
1: Shake it Off!      Your Beast or Jack shakes it off and no longer rolls on this table!
2: Stalled!      The Warjack’s Movement system is considered Crippled. The Warbeast cannot             run or Charge.
3: Charlie Horse!   One off the Warjack Weapon System is considered Crippled. If there is more             than one, Roll a d6. 1-3, the Left Arm is Crippled. On a 4-6, the Right Arm is             crippled. The Warbeast suffers the effect of a lost Body Aspect.
4: Brainfreeze!      The Warjack’s Cortex is considered Crippled. A Warbeast suffers the effect of a             lost Mind Aspect.
5: Overheat!   The Warjack must Run or Charge and can do so without spending Focus. It suffers 1 Damage to the Cortex for every focus point it spends. The Warbeast automatically Frenzies.
6: Malfunction!   The Warjack suffers d6 Damage. The Warbeast suffers 1 damage to every aspect.

FACTION ADVANTAGES
These are Advantages exclusive to their own factions, and cannot be purchased by anyone not playing the listed Faction. These advantages follow the same rules for regular Advantages, and thus cannot be purchased more than once per Campaign Round, and then cannot be used in the following Campaign Round.
Retribution of Scyrah:
Silent Running   5wp:   Taking advantage of the silent nature of Myrmidons, you’ve kept their position hidden until the very last moment before engagement. All Myrmidon Warjacks can be deployed after both armies have set up.
On Our Terms   5wp:   The Retribution of Scyrah is notorious for its hit & run tactics and sudden strikes, often fighting in the time and place of their choosing. The Retribution player gets to choose the Scenario without rolling and gets to choose whether to go first or second.
Cryx:
Fresh Graves   5wp: With the recent fighting, the Necrosurgeons have ample material for their grisly works. Up to two Non-Character Undead units in the Cryx army can be purchased at Full Unit Size for the Minimum Unit Size cost, or the Cryx Player can field one Non-Character Undead unit in his army no matter the Scenario Restrictions. This is decided after the Scenario is determined.
Unholy Artifice   6wp: Your Warcaster has found an Orgoth Artifact that raises their power.  Once per game, during any Cryx Control Phase,you can gain d6 Focus points to your Warcaster. On the roll of a 1, the Warcaster instead loses d6 Focus points.
Cygnar:
Trenchwork   3wp: The Cygnar forces have dug in and fortified their position, ready for this fight. The Cygnar player gets to set up all terrain for this Challenge and may add 2d6 Trenches to the field, ignoring any terrain placing or scenario restriction.
Disciplined Fire      6wp: This Warcaster has surrounded himself with seasoned veterans with surgical precision in their firing. Any Cygnar Warrior Units with ranged attacks can draw L.O.S through any Friendly Cygnar Model.
Khador:
Initial Bombardment   4wp: Your Warcaster has ordered a barrage of Mortar fire to soften the enemy forces. After both armies have deployed but before the first turn, The Khador Player nominates two points on the field. Center a 5” AOE on each point that deviates as normal, considering the Khador Players board edge the direct point of Origin (So the 4 would be pointing directly at the Khador players board edge and the 1 would be pointing towards the Opposing Players board Edge.) Any Model under the AOE suffers a POW 8 Blast Damage roll.
Snowstorm   6wp: A mysterious Snowstorm rips across the battlefield, summoned by the Greylords in your army. LOS for the first round is 5”, and any enemy model/unit that runs on the first turn must pass a command check or become stationary at the end of their Activation.
Protectorate of Menoth:
Holy Crusade   4wp: The Protectorate forces are out to achieve a sacred goal. The Warcasters Battlegroup may make a Full Advance before the first turn.
Wrack the Heretics   3wp: The Protectorate forces have made examples of many a heretic to demoralize the enemy army. Any Wracks fielded replace Terror with Abomination.
Mercenaries:
Dirty Deals   5wp: Some part of the opposing army has been “convinced” (I.E. Bribed/Blackmailed/Sabotaged/Poisoned) to turn a blind eye at the appropriate moment. Before the first turn, the Mercenary player writes down the name of a Non-Character, Non-Blighted, Non-Soulless, Model/Unit in the opponents army, and keeps it hidden. At any point during the fight on the opponent’s turn, when the chosen Model/Unit would be activated, the Mercenary player can reveal the name he’s written down. When this is revealed, for that turn the Nominated Model/Unit forfeits its activation. This can only happen once per game.
Name Your Price    0wp: Mercenaries value coin above all else, and thus are always open to negotiating a payment rather than a fight. Instead of fighting in the Challenge, the Mercenary player can opt to forfeit the Challenge in exchange for an amount from the opponent’s Warchest. Both players must agree to the amount, or the Challenge must be fought.
Trollbloods:
Stand Fast!   3wp: This is Trollkin land and they will not give it up! Taking any territory controlled by this Trollblood player will cost an additional +2 Conquest points.
Well-Fed   4wp: Surprising prosperity has led to the full blood Trolls and Dire trolls having full bellies. When forced to regenerate or when Snacking, a Troll heals 1d6 instead of d3.
Legion of Everblight:
Blighted Fury   3wp: Being overcome with Draconic blight can drive a warrior into a killing frenzy. One living Warrior Model gains Killing Spree. When a model with Killing Spree destroys one or more enemy models with a melee attack during its combat action, after that attack is resolved this model can move up to 1˝ and make one additional melee attack.
Bloody Infection   6wp:  Everblight has developed an infection that creates more spawn by killing other beasts. Nominate one Warbeast in your army. That Warbeast gains Infection. When a Warbeast with Infection destroys an enemy Warbeast, you can place a new Lesser Warbeast in B2B with your Warbeast. The lesser can’t activate the turn it is placed.

The Skorne:
Cheap Labor   4wp: Notorious for enslavement and forced labor, The Skorne have used their slaves to build up their defenses. The Skorne Player may place one City/Village, Fortification, or Barrack on any Territory they control. If there is an existing Terrain Feature on the chosen Territory, you can convert it to a City/Village or Barrack, or place a Fortification there if there isn’t one.
Forced March   5wp: The Skorne are used to marching long distances to conquer fertile lands. If the Skorne Player has enough Conquest Points, he can conquer a Territory within 2 Territories of one controlled by The Skorne Player.
Circle Orboros:
Forest Dweller   3wp: Seasoned beasts know how to navigate through thick forests with ease. One living Warbeast in the Circle army gains Pathfinder.
Blood Feast   5wp: A Tharn ritual bestows a temporary flux of power to your Warlock everytime they taste blood. Every time your Circle Warlock destroys a model with a Ranged/Melee/Magic attack, they gain a blood token to a maximum of 3. Blood tokens may be spent to heal 1 point of damage on the Warlock, boost attack/damage rolls, make additional attacks, or to move 1”.

Me: "I'm in customer service. I have to hate everyone."
Wizard: "Isn't that the exact opposite of what you should do?"
Me: "Yeah, but then I'd have ulcers."
Come see my Photo's at ironlichstudio.deviantart.com or Facebook under Lance Park!
WickedlyLance
General

Waaagh!

MattBlackEmerid
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 03:44:37 PM »

Changes:
- Have figured out the Scenarios.
- Actually have a Map setup.
- Added Lake to the Modifiers to Conquering territories.

My THOUGHT is to get myself and two other people and run through a quick campaign of like one-two rounds to test things out. The issue with this is that I'll only see how three In-Faction advantages work.....

I'm thinking Ulf/Zack/Myself. We could theoretically run through it over the weekend barring anything else.

Come see my Photo's at ironlichstudio.deviantart.com or Facebook under Lance Park!
OniBeowulf
Private

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »

I noticed one issue with "Blighted Fury" you should indicate whether or not you get extra attacks from bonus attack made. As it stands the model can kill a model move 1" kill another model move 1" so on and so forth until it misses or fails to kill a model.

I think a lot of the Faction bonuses would have to be looked over and balanced. Even the trenchwork could be extremely broken. I mean a Cygnar player get bonus troops and can put his opponent at a huge disadvantage. I mean I would place a bunch of impassible terrain in front of them and make them funnel into a "kill zone" where I would just open fire on them. The Fresh Graves perk combined with a caster like Terminus could also lead to a very frustrating situation. Those are just a few examples.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:03:25 PM by OniBeowulf » Logged
WickedlyLance
General

Waaagh!

MattBlackEmerid
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »

Here are the latest Rules for the Campaign System!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Forum